Radio ratings survey 2: Listeners turn to news and talk in virus crisis | radioinfo

Radio ratings survey 2: Listeners turn to news and talk in virus crisis

Thursday 16 April, 2020

The results of radio ratings Survey 2 have just been released.

The survey was run under very unusual circumstances, with wave 1 affected by the bushfires and the current wave, affected by Corona virus. The next three surveys have been put on hold as a result of the virus (see our earlier report).

Nine Entertainment's former Macquarie Sports Radio stations have returned to the surveys, under their old station names.

News and talk stations are up as listeners seek information about the changing responses to the Corona virus.

Overall radio listening is up, with cumes increasing in most markets.
 

The survey was conducted for CRA between Sun Feb 9 to Sat Feb 29 & Sun Mar 1 to Sat Apr 4.

Click the charts to enlarge them. Check back on our analysis stories as they are published during the day.

Previous survey results here.

See also: DAB+ results, Analysis, Cumes
 

AM/FM/DAB+ Stations



 

 

DAB+ Only Stations



 


Subscribe to the radioinfo daily flash briefing podcast on these platforms: Acast, Apple iTunes Podcasts, Podtail, Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, or wherever you get your podcasts.

Ask Alexa: 'Alexa, play radioinfo flash briefing’ or ask Google Home: "Hey Google. Play the latest Radioinfo flash briefing podcast.”


 
  Post your job, make sure you are logged in.

 

 

Post a Comment

1 Comments

Log InYou must be logged in to post comments.
Anthony The Koala
16 April 2020 - 1:43pm
Sydney market:
In 2020, 87.4% were tuned to the Sydney stations participating in the ratings. In the 1970s, that figure was 98.5%.

In the 1970s, the top rating station was 2SM peaking at 22% of the available share. There were fewer stations then. Today there are more stations. More remarkable is that 2GB's particular market leading programs for breakfast and morning at 17.4% and 18.8% respectively. Though the 0000-0530 slot is not listed, it is believed to be over 30%.

The other presenters were market leaders except Ben Fordham's program 10.5% beaten by ABC702's (2BL's) Richard Glover at 11.7%.

On weekday evenings, John Stanley is the market leader at 15.3% beating Steve Price's former slot.

On weekends, 2GB is the market leader at 12.2%. This includes Chris Smith's 0900-1300 program which is measured until 1200.

For 2GB management: if you have presenters that are market leaders don't fix something that is not broken.

On 2UE, Magic (3EE) and 4BH: The ratings are disappointing. I made a comment in Survey 1 that a drop in Smooth's Sydney ratings by 1.2% may have contributed to 2UE's rating. BUT I WAS WRONG.

Even though the ratings for 2UE, Magic (3EE) and 4BH are low, they would be more economical to run than a labour-intensive "Talking Sports" or "Talking Lifestyle".

BUT it's running at a loss since there are no commercials, except the traffic reports' product announcements which are the audio equivalent of "Shop-A-Docket", where the sponsors pay the traffic report company.

When it comes to music, a few weeks ago, this site's "air check" page which measured the music playlist share between WS-FM and 2UE being 31%. It did not mention if there was anything in common with the remaining 69%.

While there is nothing wrong with the "Classic Hits", "Hits And Memories", "Golden Oldies" formats, I have mentioned before that it was hackneyed and too many stations have a similar format.

Thank you,
Anthony of exciting Belfield

radioinfo ABN: 87 004 005 109  P O Box 6430 North Ryde NSW 2113 Australia.  |  All content © 1996-2020. All Rights Reserved.